- About us
- Visas and citizenship
- Travelling to Australia
- Services for Australians
- Doing business with Australia
- Study in Australia
- Development cooperation
- About Australia
- Australia-Indonesia relationship
- Travel advice
- Register with us
Who should apply for a Transit visa?
If you are an Indonesian passport holder, no transit visa is required if you depart Australia within 8 hours of your arrival. This also applies to passport holders of some other countries – see the other website links below.
You should apply for this visa if:
• You will be in Australia for more than 8 hours and less than 72 hours (if you want to stay in Australia for more than 72 hours, you should apply for another type of visa instead - see the main checklist page).
• Your main purpose in entering Australia is because:
♦ you are on your way to another country (are in transit); OR
♦ you are going to join a non-military ship as a crew member.
What are the details of the Transit visa?
• There is no visa application charge for this type of visa
• This visa must be applied for before you travel to Australia
• The transit visa allows you to exit the airport area. However, a transit visa is still required even if you do not leave the airport area and want to stay only in the transit lounge.
Checklist - The following documents should be included with your application
Application form (Form 876). Completed and signed. There is no fee for this visa
You will need to provide a certified true copy by our Service Delivery Partner (Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC)) of the biodata and visa pages of your passport with your application
One recent passport-sized photo of yourself and family members included in the application
For Indonesian Nationals, copies of your Identification Card (KTP) & Family Card (Kartu Keluarga)
If your family members (spouse, children under 18 years of age) are included in the application or are travelling with you, evidence of their relationship to you (for example - birth certificate, marriage certificate, family card, etc)
Evidence of travel tickets or documentation which shows what your travel arrangments are, after you leave Australia
If you are a person joining the crew of a ship, provide the information required in the section below.
People joining the crew of a ship (in addition to the information provided above)
People who are joining the crew of a ship will also need to provide a statement from the local shipping/handling agent, which states:
• The names of the person(s) joining the ship as crew;
• The names of the person(s) they are replacing;
• The name of the ship;
• The expected date of arrival in Australia of all the people needing a visa;
• The port and date they are expected to join the ship;
• If the are not the ship’s owner, a copy of the request for crew from the ship’s agent in Australia. The request should contain the details of the crew members applying for visas.
- Application Form (876)
- General information on Transit visas
- Transit through Australia without a visa
- A guide to foreign sea travel