- About us
- Visas and citizenship
- Travelling to Australia
- Services for Australians
- Doing business with Australia
- Study in Australia
- Development cooperation
- About Australia
- Australia-Indonesia relationship
- Travel advice
- Register with us
Work and Holiday visa
On 3 July 2012 the then Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced that Australia will significantly increase the number of work and holiday visas available to Indonesians, up from 100 to 1,000 places per year.
The Work and Holiday program details have been finalised with the Government of Indonesia.
Each applicant must:
- Be between eighteen (18) and thirty (30) years old (including the ages 18 and 30) at the time the visa is applied for;
- have tertiary qualifications, or have successfully completed at least two years of undergraduate university study;
- apply in their home country (Indonesia);
- have good English (for Indonesian applicants) - which is assessed as at least “functional” on a language test;
- Have no dependent family members who will join them (that is, there are no husband/wife and children allowed as family members on the applicant’s visa);
- have not had a visa of this type before;
- have sufficient funds for their personal expenses for the first three months and evidence of sufficient funds to purchase a return ticket to Indonesia – generally this is about $5,000 AUD;
- have good health and good character;
- provide a letter of support from the Indonesian Directorate General of Immigration which states that the applicant meets these requirements.
People who are granted Work and Holiday visas must not:
- be employed by any one employer for more than six (6) months;
- engage in any studies or training for more than four (4) months.
Details of the work and holiday program such as the number of visas available are subject to formal discussions between the Australian and Indonesian Governments. Please check our website regularly for updates.
For further details, see the Information Checklist.
If you are an Australian interested in applying for a Work and Holiday visa for Indonesia please see: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/australians-overseas/